This portable pie recipe is filled with a luscious blackberry filling made of equal parts jam and fresh berries. Try them for your next summer picnic.
Recipe: Blackberry Hand Pies
Presented By: Direct Appliance
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 cups blackberries, divided
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for egg wash)
- Turbinado sugar
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine 1½ cups blackberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Lightly mash the berries to help release the juices. Cook stirring until thickened (about 5 minutes). Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice with 1 teaspoon cornstarch; add to the berry mixture. Stir and cook for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and stir in lemon zest. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow the jam cool for at least 10 minutes while you prep your pie crust.
- Roll out pie crusts, cut out eight 6-inch circles of dough. Set aside. Fold together the cooled jam and the remaining blackberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- In the middle of each circle of dough, place a scoop of filling (about 2 tablespoons). Do not overfill or your pies will be difficult to seal. Brush edges with egg wash. Fold over into a half circle and crimp with a fork to seal. With a sharp knife, cut 3-4 slits on top of the pie for steam to escape. Chill pies for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush top of pies with egg wash. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until outside is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.